Transitions Are Never Easy
As I spend my last week or so in the office of my current position, I'm reminded time and time again that transitions are hard.
They are hard even when you know that you are doing the right thing in following a spiritual call to go somewhere else.
They are hard even when you have appropriate times to say goodbye because there is always more to say.
They are hard because (in my case) there are so many people involved and so many emotions. Having people weep in your office is very humbling. . . .
The best way I know how to describe a pastoral transition is like a relationship breakup. I thought I was over with these when I got married, but I'm finding this is not true. Breaking up with 300+ people is not something I would recommend to any of my pastoral friends until the appropriate time.
It is my time now and so it makes things better. Transitions are just a part of life, I remind myself.
But simultaneously, I feel sad for all the intersections of relationships that I will not get to see through more of life's circumstances. I feel pain for how my leaving a pastoral situation causes pain for others, especially the youngest ones. Yet, I know that in the end of the day, pastoral ministry is not all about the pastor; it is about God's work with people.
And, just as I leave to go be with a new group of people, God's love, protection and provision for those I'm leaving will remain strong.
The fear of the unknowing in the meantime is difficult. But, maybe this is what faith is all about-- trusting that even during times of unanswered questions, transitions-- that the best is always yet to come.
I am in pursuit of God's best for me and pray for the same for my current church too as I begin to pack a few boxes . . .
They are hard even when you know that you are doing the right thing in following a spiritual call to go somewhere else.
They are hard even when you have appropriate times to say goodbye because there is always more to say.
They are hard because (in my case) there are so many people involved and so many emotions. Having people weep in your office is very humbling. . . .
The best way I know how to describe a pastoral transition is like a relationship breakup. I thought I was over with these when I got married, but I'm finding this is not true. Breaking up with 300+ people is not something I would recommend to any of my pastoral friends until the appropriate time.
It is my time now and so it makes things better. Transitions are just a part of life, I remind myself.
But simultaneously, I feel sad for all the intersections of relationships that I will not get to see through more of life's circumstances. I feel pain for how my leaving a pastoral situation causes pain for others, especially the youngest ones. Yet, I know that in the end of the day, pastoral ministry is not all about the pastor; it is about God's work with people.
And, just as I leave to go be with a new group of people, God's love, protection and provision for those I'm leaving will remain strong.
The fear of the unknowing in the meantime is difficult. But, maybe this is what faith is all about-- trusting that even during times of unanswered questions, transitions-- that the best is always yet to come.
I am in pursuit of God's best for me and pray for the same for my current church too as I begin to pack a few boxes . . .

1 Comments:
At 10:04 AM ,
Natalie said...
Leaving a loving congregation is exactly like a break-up. There are deep rooted emotions that come to surface and are expressed in various ways. It sounds like you are leaving on good terms and that is a wonderful thing. You'll never forget the people who helped shape your life and ministry to where it is today. You'll even find people in your new congregation that have similarities to others you left.
Having gone through a recent transition, it is very difficult. However, knowing that you are following God's calling, He will bless you in ways you never could imagine!
Blessings and Peace to you during this time.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home