Another Year in the Life

I'm a twenty something associate pastor at a Baptist church, newly married who loves to share my narrative with others according to my friends. I find joy in writing even though I readily admit that I'm a horrible speller (pardon my errors). Come journey through my reflections of life, work and faith. This year is bound to be interesting, I know!

Sunday, December 30, 2007

Lay vs. Clergy Responsibilities

Recently, a comment was posted on my blog by a fellow pastor friend about the tension between what is really important to get done in a church by staff and what others in the congregation should do. I thought I'd spend a blog responding to the dilemma. Here's the question:

So what about this question...if nobody is willing to help make things happen, why should staff make it happen? I'm really serious about this. For example, if no one is willing to step up and organize Christmas flowers for the sanctuary, then just let it go. Either someone will step up next time or it wasn't that important in the first place. I've been thinking a lot, over the past few years, about the dilemma of staff-led ministry. Don't we profess to all be ministers together? What does it look like when we actually practice that? -EML

I would begin by saying that I don't think as ministers we profess to have it all together. (Well some do, but that's not me). Nor do we profess that our churches are doing everything that needs to be done in order to live out our vision of the kingdom of God coming in our particular community. (Well, maybe some crazy churches do, but that's not mine).

In the world of service, there is always more that could be done-- more people to care for, more cans to collect for the food bank, and more programs created that could reach more people. When you work in this world vocationally, I think you always have to remind yourself that at the end of the day there's always a time to go home. Yes, there is always more you could have done that day but realistically you can only do so much. We are all charged with the responsibility of being of service to others. If we all do our part (as is outlined to us as a community of faith called a church), then everything that needs to get done will. Pastors model balance in their lives when they don't spend every waking hour at the church or working, but also take care of their families and friends from outside of the church.

But, I get what you are saying in the sense that sometimes we as church leaders continue projects year after year, even when the interest for them isn't there. Everyone expects certain things to happen, but no one wants to make them happen. This means that often times the "professional" Christians (aka the pastors) do it, so to keep things going. I see how you feel that this is wrong. We shouldn't use our time for projects that are more about us doing them. Everything we do as a church should come from a investment of a congregation member, a vision, if you will, out of the body of people to see a particular piece of action accomplished. This is ideal.

However, on the ground, I'm learning that this isn't always the case. Many times a lot of church members expect the pastors to do certain tasks as a part of their job. And while I might think someone else might do the job better than me, I can't just stop doing them to make a statement. Every church has a different idea about what a pastor should do. Each church is unique. Some expect the pastors to help with the locking/ unlocking of the building, some do not. Some churches expect the pastor will give the children's sermon every week, some do not. Some churches expect that the pastor will be at every church event, some do not. But, what I can do is lovingly as part of the leadership development (which is an ongoing part of my job), help congregation members to take on leadership tasks which I think are important for them to do in the context of the church's personality. Does this mean that I do everything the church expects of me? No, as you can't ever make everyone happy. Events which are a strain on the staff are canceled when no one steps up to the plate at my church. Yet, in the little things, changes that are worth making are slow. This is part of what being an institution is all about. It's sad but true. Sometimes as pastors we do the tasks we think others should do. It is just part of what comes with the job.

I also want to add that my experience on Christmas Eve was not reflective of the usual experience I have with volunteers throughout the year. However, it was Christmas Eve. All of my usual parent volunteers wanted to participate in the service with their own children or be at home with their families. We encouraged our office staff to do the same. I can understand this-- it was a holiday! However, I was at church doing detailed tasks, because I felt they were important enough to get done. And, I get a salary from the church. It was just one of those occasions to remember that the laity of the church pays me to be there for them, especially on occasions when they are unable to be there themselves.

Maybe you disagree, this is fine. I'd love for the conversation to continue and I welcome others to also share their thoughts too.

1 Comments:

  • At 9:14 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Isn't your experience exactly what vocational ministry is: learning that the ideals they taught us in seminary rarely work "on the ground," as you said, and constantly inventing new ways to get the job done?

    It would be nice if all the things we hope and work for would come to be just because we insist they must, but it's been almost 18 years since I graduated from seminary and, while I can see progress, I am still waiting!

    Thanks for living faithfully in the in-between time as the kingdom of God very, very slowly comes to be!

    xo

    Amy

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home