Another Year in the Life

I'm a twenty something associate pastor at a Baptist church, newly married who loves to share my narrative with others according to my friends. I find joy in writing even though I readily admit that I'm a horrible speller (pardon my errors). Come journey through my reflections of life, work and faith. This year is bound to be interesting, I know!

Thursday, January 25, 2007

Words to a Young Woman Minister

A young clergy friend of mine was recently asked by her Presbyterian session to preach during women's day at her home church. This year, she learned, the theme was on the growth of women clergy. So, in turn, she asked several of her friends to help her prepare for the sermon by asking us these questions:

What would you say to young women, especially those considering or already in ministry, today? What advice would you give them? How would you challenge or not challenge your church or the Church?

I thought I would share my response below, hoping to begin a conversation among several of you who read my blog who are involved in ministry in some capacity yourself. This is what I said:

I would tell young women considering ministry:
To consider Joshua 1:9. It is will take much courage to stay true to both yourself and your calling. It may or may not be challenged (if you are in the South; it probably will), but it is going to take that inward calling to keep you going. It is what will help you find your first job, it will be what will get you through your discouraging days and everything in between.

I am personally learning that my calling is a lot like being in love. During the first days that I was considering being a pastor and said yes to God on this, I was head over heels for it all. I loved going to church. I loved everything about preaching and being with people. I couldn't talk enough about how much I loved calling a group of people my own.

However, now that I'm in my first full time position, it is not that I don't love my work, but I love it in a new way . . . a way that sees the reality of all that that I've gotten into. Some days I don't want to go to church as much as I do others. Some days I think it is unfair that everyone else has the choice to sleep in on Sundays and I do not. Some days I don't think I have it in me to be as unselfish of a pastor as I think I should be. But, like in a marriage, I have covenanted to God to do this work and I must keep getting out of bed each morning to find out what discipleship means for me TODAY. The journey is the call, not only the high moments like when you first accept it or even at your ordination but all the others in between.


And, of course, get some cute shoes, because everyone is going to be looking at your feet!

What do you think?

3 Comments:

  • At 12:47 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    "The JOURNEY is the call, not only the high moments like when you first accept it or even at your ordination but all the others in between."

    I love your phrasing!
    I've recently found that my greatest struggle is listening to and being faithful, as you said, to finding out what discipleship means for me today. I think sometimes I look at the big picture and forget that it's the everyday living that is a more authentic testament of my faithfulness.

    The other thing I would say is that having patience (ahh, that word)and trusting that each person's call to ministry may be embodied in different ways is precious, too. Keep writing!

     
  • At 12:59 PM , Blogger A. Lin said...

    When I read, "it is going to take that inward calling to keep you going. It is what will help you find your first job, it will be what will get you through your discouraging days and everything in between." I find a blessing for my week. I got 2 rejection letters this week. And after 5 years of searching for a position, on Wednesday I was asking God for a few crumbs from the table.

    But then I read your blog, I talk with my pastor, and I realize that I am still journeying to that perfect place of service.

    I just have no patience this week.

    Thanks for this post.

     
  • At 4:56 PM , Blogger Kristen said...

    Your response is great. i am in seminary right now and those are wonderful things to hear.

    I cna't say or be reminded enough myslef to remember that ther are A LOT of ups and downs and it is normally to have doubt and frustration.

    and the cute shoes advice is grat!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home