Another Year in the Life

I'm a twenty something associate pastor at a Baptist church, newly married who loves to share my narrative with others according to my friends. I find joy in writing even though I readily admit that I'm a horrible speller (pardon my errors). Come journey through my reflections of life, work and faith. This year is bound to be interesting, I know!

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

A theme song . . . for today at least

Recently, I've found myself at the gym again. Sadly, in the stress of life over the past several months, working out has been at the bottom of my list. I've tried several activities type classes to motivate me to move, but have found something wrong with all of them. Thus, I've done nothing athletic besides an occasional walk with my husband.

Healthy, of course not! And my body started to feel the difference, so I knew I had to get back to the gym. And, I'm already feeling better and hoping that my motivation trend continues.

At least one thing I find to be positive about the gym is the fact that I have an IPOD. Working out to music, for me, seems to make the time go much faster. I can bear it all the better if I have something entertaining to listen to.

I was enjoying my IPOD time today while on the treadmill only to find that the song: "Too Legit To Quit" came on suddenly during the shuffling session I had on. At first, I was weirded out a little, thinking how did this get on my IPOD?? But the more I listened to it, the more I felt inspired.

Ok, you can laugh here, but stay with me a moment before you write me off as a weird child of the 80s who listens to McHammer still, but . . .

As a young woman in ministry, there are often times a lot of reasons to want to quit. You aren't respected for what you know, instead you are judged by how you look (young or pretty or not pretty). People often discredit your ideas because of what they perceive to be your lack of experience. People often make comments to you after church at the door telling you how nice you are dressed today, instead of what they thought of your sermon.

But, these are no reasons to quit. I am too legit as I reminded myself today. My voice is important. It is a valuable part of conversations within my work setting. I am teaching my congregation a lot about what it means to have a woman as their pastor (as they are teaching me too). I'm helping the change the paradigm of what has always been.

And, this is exciting! And for these reasons and may more, today I say, I'm too legit-- I can't quit! There is a calling to do what I do that keeps me going. I'm staying the game.

1 Comments:

  • At 6:52 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Dear Legit One,
    More power to ya! Starting back to classes this week and working to move beyond my initial syllabus shock, as is the case at the start of every quarter, plus the weight of two kids and a super busy husband, if you don't mind, I'll borrow your song for a while! Will you share it? It's taking some time right now for me to remember why I'm doing this!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home