Another Year in the Life

I'm a twenty something associate pastor at a Baptist church, newly married who loves to share my narrative with others according to my friends. I find joy in writing even though I readily admit that I'm a horrible speller (pardon my errors). Come journey through my reflections of life, work and faith. This year is bound to be interesting, I know!

Saturday, March 22, 2008

On the Eve of Easter

It is 10 pm on the Saturday before Easter. What do you think your preacher is doing?

Going to bed, I hope. But most likely putting the finishing touches on the sermon or laying out their clothes or thinking about how crazy the day will be tomorrow if they aren't already asleep.

While I am not preaching tomorrow (do associate pastors ever get asked to preach on Easter?), I do have a full plate of responsibilities including an early morning Sunrise Service, preparing for the extra people in our Sunday classes and the roles I will play in our 10:30 worship service tomorrow. It will be a non-stop morning from 6 am on.

However, as much as I don't like getting up early and as much as I like manageable leadership situations (not the kind of craziness that could be possible tomorrow), there is a part of me that is really excited about what the pastoral experience of Easter will be like this year. Why?

The expectation of worship experience will be heightened those who attend.

The size of the crowds will be larger, creating a sort of energy that comes from the sheer number of worshipers present.

And, I know from experience in my particular setting that the music will be amazing! I can't wait to hear the brass group play: "Christ the Lord is Risen Today."

Easter is such a special day in the Christian calendar. It is our holiest of high holy days. The event we remember on Easter is how we frame our teaching and preaching throughout the year. If we don't have Easter in the Christian faith, we loose the distinctive that makes us uniquely Christian.

I am excited to share in the joy of all that this means and to see the faces of the congregation-- people who also "get" why this day is so special too.

And, I'm also thrilled about having Monday off to recover.

So, Happy Easter 2008! Christ is Risen. Christ is Risen Indeed!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home