A New Way of Love
One thing that really bothers me about religion in American is how we view and treat one another. Even though our country is called the "melting pot" cultural diversity- it makes sad to think of how we relate to one another's differences. The basic stereotypes we have in our mind about one another often keep us separate. We call each other names and give each other labels. We often do not see that many of us want similar things in our lives and in our faith journey. We think we can't be friends with a person of another religious group without trying to convert them instantly to our own.
Yet there is a movement of religious folks these days to make statements of acceptance and partnership. There are many who are tired of "religion" in America getting a bad reputation for being segregating, judgmental and ignorant of history. There are many who are courageously embracing what it means to live in a multi-faith area. I am proud to say that there are many Christians that I know who are showing God's love through their willingness to live outside the paradigm of what has always been. Minds are being opened to truly engaging another's faith.
For these reasons and more, this is why I love being a part of my city's Interfaith Alliance Group. We meet for lunch every other month and share a table of conversation together. Often times, I am the only Baptist there, but I am treated with utmost respect for the faith community that I represent. Not only are there ministers from my own Protestant tradition in attendance, but friends in Catholic, Jewish, Islamic and Hindu and Baha’i faiths as well. Social workers and city officials who work in human services are present in our gatherings too.
We often talk about the pressing spiritual needs in our community. We hear a prayer from a different faith each meeting, and we talk about events going on in our area that need our support.
I didn't know how fascinating my own city was until I met lay leader in the Mormon church who told me all how her church organizes the Sunday sermon with youth speaking each week! I didn't know that we have an Islamic congregation worshiping alongside an evangelical mega church which seeks to send a message of reconciliation and love to any who would listen. I didn't know that we had such a great human resources department in our county that loves to provide information to churches so that we can make the best decisions of care to any who are in need.
Thanks be to God for my new friends in this city and all they are doing to further peace, reconciliation and love in our community! I'm proud to stand alongside them.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home