"Will You Marry Me?"
This is one of the most heartwarming questions that one can ask a pastor. And by this a couple means, "Will you be the minister who performs our wedding ceremony?" Especially as I am new at the game of full-time pastoring, with every wedding I get asked to do, I feel a great sense of accomplishment in being asked to participate in one of the most important moments of two people's lives.
And, even more than normal, I was thrilled with my friend Kerry asked me
to marry her and her partner, Federico. Kerry has been a dear friend of my husband's for years and walked as a bridesmaid at our wedding as both of our friends. This couple has become a dear part of our DC family-- two in whom I can't imagine not being a part of our circle of friends here. We have all have watched Kerry and Fede's love and commitment grow to one another over the past several years. All of us were so happy to see them take this step of marriage together.
I have found I actually love doing weddings, especially those of people that I know well. It feels like a great privilege to be able to speak of what you have seen expressed in the couple and to encourage them in the vows they are about to make to one another. The moments shared saying the vows are scared and holy. And I have such an great moment with many listening to share what I know to be true about God's love as expressed in our love for one another-- a truth that most all of long to hear, no matter what we think about organized religion. God is present in the encounter of making two become husband and wife.
The wedding I did a couple weeks ago for this couple was all of these things and more!
So, best of luck in all your days ahead, Kerry and Fede! Thanks for letting me be a part of your special day.
And, even more than normal, I was thrilled with my friend Kerry asked me
to marry her and her partner, Federico. Kerry has been a dear friend of my husband's for years and walked as a bridesmaid at our wedding as both of our friends. This couple has become a dear part of our DC family-- two in whom I can't imagine not being a part of our circle of friends here. We have all have watched Kerry and Fede's love and commitment grow to one another over the past several years. All of us were so happy to see them take this step of marriage together.I have found I actually love doing weddings, especially those of people that I know well. It feels like a great privilege to be able to speak of what you have seen expressed in the couple and to encourage them in the vows they are about to make to one another. The moments shared saying the vows are scared and holy. And I have such an great moment with many listening to share what I know to be true about God's love as expressed in our love for one another-- a truth that most all of long to hear, no matter what we think about organized religion. God is present in the encounter of making two become husband and wife.
The wedding I did a couple weeks ago for this couple was all of these things and more!
So, best of luck in all your days ahead, Kerry and Fede! Thanks for letting me be a part of your special day.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home