Hobbies?
Beginning a new job means lots of get to know you conversations. I know that my days at church for the next several months will be filled with them constantly. You know, the kind of interactions that start like, "Where are you from?" or "What do your parents do?" or even "What do you think of the weather up here?"
All of these I expected. I had answers prepared. But the one question I've heard over and over that I seem to stumble my way into answering is: "What are your hobbies?" (And in fact, one of the members on my ordination council asked me this too-- thanks, Mark). I've actually been searching for something good to say that actually is a reflection of who I am.
My answers have seemed dumb to me as I've only been able to utter things such as traveling (I love going anywhere I haven't been, but now I'll be in town for awhile it seems), watching the t.v. show the Gilmore Girls, scrapbooking (even though I'm more than a year behind), and going to the gym (although I haven't done this in months, I'm sad to report). "Don't I enjoy more than this?" I've thought. Do have anything outside of work that brings me real joy?
My new D.C. friend Kerry has also inspired me to think about my out my non-work passions through her example. Kerry loves sailing and has recently reconnected to the sport via being a volunteer crew member for some people who own their own boats in the area. It is a joy to watch her talk about how much she enjoys her days on the water. It makes me happy for her to know she is pursuing something that she finds so fun.
Yet, even as I reflected on this, I still couldn't think of anything I truly loved in the hobby catagory. However, I recalled other hobby type activities of mine that I will now add to the list of "What my hobbies are" when I'm asked again soon.
1. Blogging. I'm proud of myself for being faithful to this writing discipline over the course of the year-- it makes me happy to know that I'm sharing my thoughts with people like yourself.
2. Cooking. I've been told baking is one of my spiritual gifts. Maybe it is just the southern woman in me, but I love hosting dinner parties-- setting the table for a group of people makes me gitty in fact. I'm so glad I now have two dining room tables in my new house.
3. Dancing. Going out to a dance club on a weekend night or being at weddings where people actually dance is so much fun! (even though these Saturday nights out will be cut short with church the next day). Hip hop is my favorite- you just have to drag me away when it is time to leave because I find a lot of energy in being in such a setting. I also took many years of ballet as a child. During my second year of seminary I enrolled in an adult ballet class, and am considering getting back in it again (now that I'm getting a regular paycheck).
I know to stay sane in this fishbowl called ministry, I've got to be faithful to time away from work via hobbies and especially the friends who come with them. So thanks for all the questions about hobbies, new friends, as you have reminded me to pursue them!
All of these I expected. I had answers prepared. But the one question I've heard over and over that I seem to stumble my way into answering is: "What are your hobbies?" (And in fact, one of the members on my ordination council asked me this too-- thanks, Mark). I've actually been searching for something good to say that actually is a reflection of who I am.
My answers have seemed dumb to me as I've only been able to utter things such as traveling (I love going anywhere I haven't been, but now I'll be in town for awhile it seems), watching the t.v. show the Gilmore Girls, scrapbooking (even though I'm more than a year behind), and going to the gym (although I haven't done this in months, I'm sad to report). "Don't I enjoy more than this?" I've thought. Do have anything outside of work that brings me real joy?
My new D.C. friend Kerry has also inspired me to think about my out my non-work passions through her example. Kerry loves sailing and has recently reconnected to the sport via being a volunteer crew member for some people who own their own boats in the area. It is a joy to watch her talk about how much she enjoys her days on the water. It makes me happy for her to know she is pursuing something that she finds so fun.
Yet, even as I reflected on this, I still couldn't think of anything I truly loved in the hobby catagory. However, I recalled other hobby type activities of mine that I will now add to the list of "What my hobbies are" when I'm asked again soon.
1. Blogging. I'm proud of myself for being faithful to this writing discipline over the course of the year-- it makes me happy to know that I'm sharing my thoughts with people like yourself.
2. Cooking. I've been told baking is one of my spiritual gifts. Maybe it is just the southern woman in me, but I love hosting dinner parties-- setting the table for a group of people makes me gitty in fact. I'm so glad I now have two dining room tables in my new house.
3. Dancing. Going out to a dance club on a weekend night or being at weddings where people actually dance is so much fun! (even though these Saturday nights out will be cut short with church the next day). Hip hop is my favorite- you just have to drag me away when it is time to leave because I find a lot of energy in being in such a setting. I also took many years of ballet as a child. During my second year of seminary I enrolled in an adult ballet class, and am considering getting back in it again (now that I'm getting a regular paycheck).
I know to stay sane in this fishbowl called ministry, I've got to be faithful to time away from work via hobbies and especially the friends who come with them. So thanks for all the questions about hobbies, new friends, as you have reminded me to pursue them!

3 Comments:
At 1:12 AM ,
Will said...
Hi Elizabeth
I'm happy that your new church life is start good. The people how was at the DCBC was happy that you are there new Associate Pastor.
There another one you'll like to add on your hobby list.
It called flickr.com. Were you can take picture and put a title and what going on the picture. You can shair with the public, family and Friends. Or just with family or friends. It free up to 200 picturs but after that you need to pay up to $20 plus to be a pro.
My flickr link is:
http://flickr.com/photos/48093838@N00/
Hope you enjoy my picturs.
You're Friend
Will
At 3:29 PM ,
Scott said...
got pointed here from revgals...
YES, you should definitely cultivate some hobbies, for your sanity if for nothing else! May I suggest something that involves projects you complete, since much of your work will never be 'finished' as a pastor? My mentor was a woodworker before he died of cancer last year; I read novels and I'm beginning to put together my own woodshop. If exercise is your thing, you could try a 10K/half-marathon/marathon to give yourself a goal to attain (and to enjoy once you've reached it!)
Blessings on your first year - I wish you all the best!
At 11:00 PM ,
LutheranChik said...
My pastor is quite a gifted sculptor -- metal is his medium -- and he also tinkers with cars.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home