Another Year in the Life

I'm a twenty something associate pastor at a Baptist church, newly married who loves to share my narrative with others according to my friends. I find joy in writing even though I readily admit that I'm a horrible speller (pardon my errors). Come journey through my reflections of life, work and faith. This year is bound to be interesting, I know!

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Hotel Elizabeth

These days I feel like I've gained a new title-- part-time hotel director. Now, of course my new title comes as a volunteer responsibility, especially considering the fact that this hotel I manage is my own house!

Well, it is not exactly my house. . . . It is the house I live in, but is managed by the church through a trust fund of a deceased church member who left his whole estate to them. It is huge (especially considering the norm for housing in this area)-- three bedrooms, 2 full baths, 2 half baths, with a full basement. It is more room than one person needs for sure. So, I knew that when I agreed to live in this place, I'd want to share it with others. The DC area is a popular region to visit you know, (especially when nearly every Baptist group in America wants to have their annual meetings here this year)!

It takes a lot of work to be a proper host you know. Clean sheets, clean towels, food in the house, and things of a similar nature. (With how much I've been running around these days, it is often not the norm for me now to actually have food in the domicile, sad, but true!)

But, all in all, I'm glad to do the work because it means I get to see people that I love. Such as my friends the Smiths from my beloved first church as an student associate pastor, New Sharon United Methodist. They came to visit during North Carolina's spring break to tour the sites downtown and to see a cherry blossom or two. Their visit was a breathe of fresh air for me-- reminding me who I was and providing me encouragement to keep going strong. I think at best this is what hospitality means: it is a mutual giving and receiving from host to guest and guest back to host as well.

I also enjoyed the presence of my former roommate, Abby (who came for one of the Baptist meetings) and Lynn, a friend from my teaching days in Birmingham this past weekend. Then, on Thursday night, my best friend from college, Kristina will appear in hopes of motivating me to do some more wedding planning for the weekend. And, two groups already have reservations for weekends in May!

When I look at all the people who float in and out of my life on a monthly basis via visits, I can not be anything but blessed. Though it takes work to keep Hotel Elizabeth up and running, I'm happy to do it. So word to the wise if you want to stay anytime in the near future, BOOK EARLY!

1 Comments:

  • At 4:58 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Uh, I would like to put my reservations in for a room at the Hotel Elizabeth. I can come during the summer or whenever there is an opening. Just kidding. I had a friend who lived in Richmond who was my hotel for trips to Wash. DC and around.

    By the way, what a parsonage you have.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home