Another Year in the Life

I'm a twenty something associate pastor at a Baptist church, newly married who loves to share my narrative with others according to my friends. I find joy in writing even though I readily admit that I'm a horrible speller (pardon my errors). Come journey through my reflections of life, work and faith. This year is bound to be interesting, I know!

Thursday, December 07, 2006

The City of SO Much to Do

One of the things I love about being in the DC area is the wide array of things to be involved in, no matter what your interests are. On November 18th, attended an yearly event here called "Walk for the Homeless." I have to say it was hard to get out of bed early on a Saturday morning, but well worth the effort once I got there. It was an opportunity to hang out with some friends of mine from Calvary Baptist and walk four miles around the national monuments the District. I was one among the thousands out on the national lawn raising money through our sheer presence for the Fannie Mae Foundation that supports causes which helps the homeless. It was quite the exhilarating event to be a part of something so large. However, walking the route was much the different story. I felt like I became a herd of cows as I joined the masses to walk. The streets were as packed as they were during the 4th of July parades. I expected to be quite tired at the end but because of the slow pace of the walk, it felt like no time had past.




And, this is also a city were MUSIC abounds. Last Thursday night, Kevin, I and a group of our friends from the city attended a concert at the DAR's Consitution Hall. The Boston Pops presented a holiday concert accompanied by the Furman Singers (from Furman University). It was quite the night of great music and time spent with friends. (Santa event made an appearence as seen to the right).

I was pleasantly surprized how much the Christian Christmas message was presented. My favorite piece of theirs was a version of "Go, Tell It On the Mountain." The soloist was marvelous . . . how I wish she was a member of my local church choir! The concert ended in a sing-a-long of favorite Christmas songs.


Then, last Saturday night, I was given tickets by a church member to attend the National Christian Choir's Christmas Concert. This was one of the most amazing choirs I've heard in a long time. Their faces were beautiful to watch as they sang too. They abounded with the Christmas spirit, if I ever saw it myself.

All in all, I am glad to be in here in the city "of a thousand things to do." I am confident that with friends to go to fun events with, I will not turn into a boring pastor who has no life outside of her congregation.

1 Comments:

  • At 7:41 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I often go to events at hte College of Preachers, and every single time leave saying"I wish I lived here." You're lucky!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home