Salvation On the Roadside
Welcome to a part of my drive to Goldsboro every week. When I see these signs, I am not only 10 minutes away from the church, but about to be asked about the eternal state of my soul. While I've seen some really good Jesus bilboards in my day, I think these are some of the most creative witnessing efforts I've ever seen. My favorite part are the red flags. It is like a construction zone for Jesus. While I took these pictures in the daytime, the view is actually better at night because there are spotlights shinning on the signs. I never have to fear because the lights are so bright you can't miss them! So, join me on the tour. . .

So, are you saved yet?
I don’t mean to be overly sarcastic, but something about the whole scene really bothers me. Now, I know that God can use anything for good, but I worry about people who bank so much of their Christian witness on what is in their yard.
My concern, I believe, stems from my understanding that a relationship with Jesus is more than just choosing heaven and hell. It is more than just considering where you will stand on judgment day. It is more than having right belief. It is more than saying a prayer one day at church or even after seeing signs such as these.
It is a total life engagement with the fullness of the Christian story that comes as we embody the gospel message. Salvation comes as we live our lives together as people who come to be aware of the Spirit’s work in the world. It comes as we come to know God through God’s pursuit of us which is made real to us through other people. Salvation is a process of discipleship that we are shaped by our entire lives. I still think I’m “getting saved” in fact.
But, I would be remise if I didn’t explain the perspective from which my criticism comes. I used to be a super-evangelical Christian. I had a dear friend in college who lovingly called me a Bible-beater.
As proof of this, I knew the Roman Road backward and forward. I had a list of my friends who I thought needed converting and I looked for appropriate opportunities to share the salvation plan with them. I had a poster of the unreached people groups above my bed in my dorm room. And, if this is not proof enough of my super-evangelical status, I was also trained in F.A.I.T.H evangelism my junior year of college. (I'm a church dork, through and through).
(This evangelism program began by Bobby Welch, current President of the Southern Baptist convention. In level one which I passed, you memorize their unique salvation pep talk and then go door-to-door to witness to random people you’ve never met. I do have to say that I had alternative motives… my witnessing partner was a boy who I had a huge crush on. So, it was a good excuse to spend weekly time with him . . . but it never worked out between us, thank goodness).
But, then one day I woke up and asked myself, "What I am doing??" My obsessive gospel presentations no longer made much sense. As a part of this, while in my first year of seminary, I resolved to quit talking about Jesus for a while until I could explain the Christian jargon in which I spoke. Over the last year, I have begun to have some clarity.
And while, I’m not saying that talking about Jesus is bad, I am saying that the ways in which we do it need to be under close scrutiny.
We need to see people as human beings just like us, no matter what their story has been. We need to stop thinking that formulated evangelism plans are one-size fits all. We need to consider what kind of Christian community our churches are forming, so that when people do find their way to us they are welcomed openly no matter where they are in their salvation journey. And, we need to be Christians and churches that show through our embodiment of Christ a new way of existing in the world which is full of God’s love and grace.
So, for now, I’ll continue to giggle a little when I pass these signs every week, being encouraged by the earnestness of my fellow Christians. But at the same time, continue to teach and preach that the gospel in which our faith is based upon is so much more than anything that could be written on a sign.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home