It's All About Friends
Intense experiences like grad school are often time more about the people you study with than what you learn in the classes themselves. I have found divinity school to be just like this! I needed friends fast so that I wouldn’t drop out during my first month and during some of the difficult moments ahead. Not only did I need study partners, but people to talk through all of the earth shaking theological concepts I was studying in class, questions of vocational discernment and to process life in general. Since moving to NC, I have been ten hours from my closest relative, so friends here have become like my family. I am very thankful to have made some very dear ones here over the past three years; friends, who I hope will become ministerial colleagues for life. 
Today is the day to celebrate the birthday of one of these amazing people, Anna Kate. I first met Anna Kate through a mutual friend (who happens to be my current roommate) at a lunch almost three years ago. But, I didn’t get to know her until she arrived at the div school to start working on her second masters in theological studies in August of 2004. She will graduate with my MDiv class this May, and we are all cheering her on as she awaits her acceptance letters to a PhD program for the fall. She is on her way to becoming a pastoral care rockstar you will undoubtably hear much about in the days to come!
It is hard to really describe the joy Anna Kate’s presence has brought my life over the past two years. She has been a faithful encourager, listener, and a spunky cheerleader for me, whatever the circumstances. She is always up for Mexican food and the two hour conversations that come with our trips to El Rodeo (I think we keep them in business). Or for road trips (like our recent one to the beach) or late night movies, or whatever seems to suit at the time.

Anna Kate has a God given gift of attentiveness. She can smell a need for pastoral care a mile away and is quick to offer to others whatever she has to give. Anna Kate has the ability to light up whatever room she is in, just by the way she walks in—so I’m glad I am privileged to hang out with her often! I believe lives are transformed through relationships— and having Anna Kate as part of my seminary experience has shaped the person I’ve become. (I’ll never sing some hymns without laughing again).
For these reasons and many more, I am delighted to celebrate her birthday today, January 26th. Much love to you, Anna Kate!

Today is the day to celebrate the birthday of one of these amazing people, Anna Kate. I first met Anna Kate through a mutual friend (who happens to be my current roommate) at a lunch almost three years ago. But, I didn’t get to know her until she arrived at the div school to start working on her second masters in theological studies in August of 2004. She will graduate with my MDiv class this May, and we are all cheering her on as she awaits her acceptance letters to a PhD program for the fall. She is on her way to becoming a pastoral care rockstar you will undoubtably hear much about in the days to come!
It is hard to really describe the joy Anna Kate’s presence has brought my life over the past two years. She has been a faithful encourager, listener, and a spunky cheerleader for me, whatever the circumstances. She is always up for Mexican food and the two hour conversations that come with our trips to El Rodeo (I think we keep them in business). Or for road trips (like our recent one to the beach) or late night movies, or whatever seems to suit at the time.

Anna Kate has a God given gift of attentiveness. She can smell a need for pastoral care a mile away and is quick to offer to others whatever she has to give. Anna Kate has the ability to light up whatever room she is in, just by the way she walks in—so I’m glad I am privileged to hang out with her often! I believe lives are transformed through relationships— and having Anna Kate as part of my seminary experience has shaped the person I’ve become. (I’ll never sing some hymns without laughing again).
For these reasons and many more, I am delighted to celebrate her birthday today, January 26th. Much love to you, Anna Kate!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home